24th March 2014
Dubai International Exhibition & Convention Center
Responding to Emergencies: Women & Aid
Target Audiences: Humanitarian, charity and NGO workers from the Gulf, MENA and beyond who are seeking to gain further knowledge in UN humanitarian systems and an introduction to some of the issues surrounding women, aid and development.
- To illustrate the growing capacity of the UAE as a humanitarian donor and service provider.
- To present current discussions on the situations, needs and opportunities facing beneficiary women and female staff in aid and development contexts.
- To present current trends in education for girls and health outreach to women in emergency and conflict settings.
- To illustrate how gender-based violence is being tackled in various refugee contexts.
- To familiarize participants with UN system and various field programming cycles and approaches
- To introduce the World Humanitarian Summit.
|[ 08:00 – 08:30 ]||Registration for Workshop & World Café Conversations|
|[ 08:30 – 08:45 ]||Workshop Opening Khaled Khalifa, Chief Partnerships Coordination Section, OCHA Geneva|
|[ 08:45 – 10:30 ]||Session One: Introduction to Women, Security & Health|
|[ 08:45 – 09:15 ]||Women, Peace & Security Nahla Haider, UN Committee for the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) Member|
|[ 09:15 – 09:45 ]||Women, Health & Emergencies Caroline Abla, Director of Nutrition and Food Security Department, International Medical Corps (IMC)|
|[ 09:45 – 10:15 ]||Group Work|
|[ 10:15 – 10:30 ]||Group Feedback OCHA|
|[ 10:30 – 11:00 ]||Coffee Break|
|[ 11:00 – 12:45 ]||Session Two: Combatting Gender-Based Violence in Refugee Settings|
|[ 11:15 – 11:45]||Gender-Based Violence Trends & Challenges Anna Stone, Gender Based Violence Programme Manager, Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)|
|[ 11:45 – 12:15]||Gender-Based Violence Referral Mechanisms Sana Jellasi, Regional Gender Officer, UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA)|
|[ 12:15 – 12:45]||Group Work|
|[ 12:45 – 13:00]||Group Feedback OCHA|
|[ 13:00 – 14:00 ]||Lunch|
|[ 14:00 – 16:00]||Session Three: Humanitarian Aid, Coordination & Practice Today|
|[ 14:30 – 15:00]||Regional Priorities for Foreign Aid Contributions Sajeda Shawa, European Commission – Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (ECHO) Ministry of International Cooperation and Development (MICAD)|
|[ 15:00 – 15:30]||UN & Regional Coordination Structures Khaled Khalifa, Chief Partnerships Coordination Section, OCHA Geneva International Humanitarian City (IHC)|
|[ 15:30 – 16:00]||Minimum Standards in Global Humanitarian Practice Khaled Khalifa, Chief Partnerships Coordination Section, OCHA Geneva|
|[ 16:30 – 17:00]||Wrap up & Presentation of CertificatesGerhard Putman-Cramer|